16:02:57 <odyssey4me> #startmeeting OpenStack Ansible Meeting
16:02:58 <openstack> Meeting started Thu Nov 19 16:02:57 2015 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is odyssey4me. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:02:59 <openstack> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
16:03:01 <openstack> The meeting name has been set to 'openstack_ansible_meeting'
16:03:06 <dstanek> o/
16:03:09 <odyssey4me> #topic Agenda & rollcall
16:03:26 <evrardjp> hello
16:03:43 <stevelle> hello there
16:03:45 <ntt> hellp
16:03:49 <jwagner> o/
16:03:51 <bgmccollum> o/
16:04:31 <palendae> o/
16:05:43 <odyssey4me> considering that last week's action items are today's workshop, we'll skip the review of the action items :)
16:05:53 <odyssey4me> so
16:05:57 <odyssey4me> #topic Release Planning and Decisions
16:06:04 <odyssey4me> #link https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/openstack-ansible#Agenda_for_next_meeting
16:06:28 <d34dh0r53> o/
16:06:51 <odyssey4me> Let's start with a quick discussion about Liberty's 12.0.1 release
16:07:11 <odyssey4me> we've fixed some important bugs, but there are one or two crucial bugs outstanding for reviews
16:07:37 <odyssey4me> https://review.openstack.org/240560 needs another review
16:07:48 <odyssey4me> without it, neutron db migrations do not work properly
16:08:52 <odyssey4me> and https://review.openstack.org/245704 is also quite crucial
16:08:56 <evrardjp> it's me or it's not target there? https://launchpad.net/openstack-ansible/+milestone/12.0.1
16:09:13 <odyssey4me> are there any objections to waiting for those to merge, or are there other patches we need to wait for before tagging 12.0.1 ?
16:09:52 <evrardjp> they are close to being merged right?
16:10:06 <evrardjp> I'd be glad if 12.0.1 would be tagged tomorrow
16:10:16 <odyssey4me> well, the neutron migrations patch needs one more review, then a backport
16:10:30 <palendae> odyssey4me: That 2nd one looks like it's not passing gate, but has reviews
16:10:51 <odyssey4me> yeah, the second one just needs to get passed by Grumpy the Gate
16:11:19 <evrardjp> odyssey4me: maybe there will be one commit missing
16:11:29 <evrardjp> the reno thing?
16:11:56 <evrardjp> isn't it something that has to be committed?
16:12:33 <evrardjp> (I mean having the text to give to reno to explain what's released in this 12.0.1 version)
16:13:07 <odyssey4me> yeah, so we will have to start adding release notes - but it's a little late for 12.0.1 - I'll talk about that a bit later
16:14:38 <stevelle> I haven't started a review of the neutron db migrations but it is in my queue. Not sure if I will get to it before I go on holiday.
16:15:05 <stevelle> if that impacts the decision to wait or not
16:15:24 <odyssey4me> what're the thoughts - if it's not in by tomorrow morning, do we tag regardless or do we wait until it merges?
16:15:51 <evrardjp> for the gate, it passed in master, and the log mention for the failure a 503 on install pip, which shouldn't be an impact of the xtradbbackup
16:16:54 <odyssey4me> #startvote Release 12.0.1 tomorrow (yes/no)
16:16:55 <openstack> Unable to parse vote topic and options.
16:17:03 <evrardjp> odyssey4me: do you plan to have the neutron db migrations in 12.0.1?
16:17:52 <evrardjp> it's a long way to tomorrow, so if it can wait, it changes everything, the rest seems easy
16:18:09 <odyssey4me> #startvote Release 12.0.1 tomorrow, regardless of whether current reviews in progress merge? yes, no
16:18:09 <openstack> Begin voting on: Release 12.0.1 tomorrow, regardless of whether current reviews in progress merge? Valid vote options are yes, no.
16:18:11 <openstack> Vote using '#vote OPTION'. Only your last vote counts.
16:18:39 <evrardjp> #vote NO
16:19:05 <palendae> #vote no
16:19:33 <evrardjp> is this case sensitive?
16:19:50 <odyssey4me> I think so. :)
16:19:52 <andymccr> #vote yes
16:20:10 <palendae> Not sure I see the point of releasing something that's known to be broken
16:20:20 <andymccr> we do another release in 2 weeks
16:20:22 <andymccr> so then its fixed
16:20:27 <bgmccollum> reading the bug, it seems to only be a problem IF lbass is installed...correct?
16:20:27 <andymccr> then in 2 weeks after that we do another release
16:20:28 <palendae> So it's broken for 2 weeks?
16:21:01 <andymccr> thats the point of rolling releases though - when you get into a pattern of "certain patches HAVE to merge before we can release" you start running into weird timelines that are not sustainable
16:21:13 <andymccr> as a matter of principle - sticking to a set cadence is better.
16:21:23 <palendae> I don't agree with that, but ok
16:21:49 <palendae> Releasing to release when it's not functional seems to be wasteful
16:21:58 <palendae> I get your point that it's short-ish window to fix it
16:22:00 <andymccr> i guess since its 12.0.1 its slightly different - we shouldnt have it be non-functional
16:22:22 <andymccr> so master should alwyas be functional and we just release whatever is ready at that point. and if you had a bug that wasnt fixed you wait 2 weeks. thats how it is.
16:22:46 <stevelle> if only we had release notes to indicate known bugs by tag
16:22:58 <palendae> Alright
16:23:06 <palendae> Well, I don't see more votes so far :)
16:23:21 <odyssey4me> bgmccollum to answer your question, the effect of not having the patch is that if you re-run the neutron playbook (regardless or enabling or disabling lbaas), the migration task fails
16:23:36 <bgmccollum> odyssey4me: nod...
16:24:27 <bgmccollum> and while it fails the second time...it shouldn't leave the environment in a broken state...even if run...?
16:24:29 <evrardjp> stevelle: :D
16:24:53 <odyssey4me> bgmccollum not a broken state, but you're unable to complete a playbook run for neutron
16:26:04 <odyssey4me> ok, we've spent far too much time on this
16:26:11 <evrardjp> ok then it's a major issue, so it shouldn't be tagged :p
16:26:26 <evrardjp> postpone tomorrow?
16:26:28 <evrardjp> :p
16:26:46 <odyssey4me> we'll see where's it's at in the morning - hopefully we'll have another review on it and it can be back ported
16:26:50 <odyssey4me> #endvote
16:26:51 <openstack> Voted on "Release 12.0.1 tomorrow, regardless of whether current reviews in progress merge?" Results are
16:26:52 <andymccr> you can always do a release outside of the regular cadence once its fixed?
16:26:53 <openstack> yes (1): andymccr
16:26:54 <openstack> no (2): palendae, evrardjp
16:27:22 <odyssey4me> moving along, we need to decide whether to tag the next kilo release
16:27:29 <odyssey4me> https://launchpad.net/openstack-ansible/+milestone/11.2.5
16:28:35 <odyssey4me> the heat signals thing will require a sha bump - so it'll have to wait for the next tag
16:29:42 <odyssey4me> so it appears to me that kilo is ready to roll, any objections?
16:30:11 <evrardjp> none
16:30:13 <odyssey4me> #startvote Release 11.2.5 tomorrow? yes, no
16:30:14 <openstack> Begin voting on: Release 11.2.5 tomorrow? Valid vote options are yes, no.
16:30:15 <openstack> Vote using '#vote OPTION'. Only your last vote counts.
16:30:42 <andymccr> lgtm ship it
16:30:51 <andymccr> #vote yes
16:32:08 <odyssey4me> #vote yes
16:33:53 <d34dh0r53> #vote yes
16:33:55 <stevelle> #vote yes
16:34:29 <odyssey4me> #endvote
16:34:30 <openstack> Voted on "Release 11.2.5 tomorrow?" Results are
16:34:31 <openstack> yes (4): d34dh0r53, stevelle, odyssey4me, andymccr
16:34:35 <odyssey4me> ok, done - moving on
16:35:06 <odyssey4me> #topic Workshop - Install Guide
16:35:13 <odyssey4me> #link https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/oa-install-docs
16:36:03 <odyssey4me> The RPC Documentation team, which also is a major OpenStack documentation contributor, has offered to take on the job of revamping the install guide and helping maintain the documentaiton.
16:36:45 <odyssey4me> we need to assist with identifying any issues with the current docs, providing information to them about what we'd like to see, and also about things that need to be in the documentation
16:37:30 <odyssey4me> I've added some of my own thoughts and questions - can we please all spend around 10 minutes doing the same now.
16:54:20 <evrardjp> is there anyone from the doc team on the etherpad right now?
16:56:20 <odyssey4me> evrardjp unfortunately KLevenstein couldn't make it, but we'll revisit it next week once they've had a chance to look through our comments/questions
16:57:18 <evrardjp> ok
16:57:27 <evrardjp> 3 minutes remaining?
16:57:58 <odyssey4me> ok, so if we could try and put some time aside to think about other changes, that'd be great
16:58:07 <odyssey4me> thanks all
16:58:11 <odyssey4me> #topic Open discussion
16:58:24 <odyssey4me> I wanted to raise two more etherpads for input quickly:
16:58:34 <odyssey4me> #link https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/openstack-ansible-upgrade-framework
16:58:42 <odyssey4me> #link https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/openstack-ansible-multi-os-support
16:59:04 <odyssey4me> also
16:59:08 <odyssey4me> #link http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-November/079732.html
16:59:16 <odyssey4me> if you could all chime in, that'd be great
16:59:23 <odyssey4me> anything else in the last minute?
17:00:08 <odyssey4me> ok, thank all for your time!
17:00:12 <odyssey4me> #endmeeting